Tuesday, April 04, 2006

Baseball is back!

Oh YEAH baseball is back! I was losing my mind there, but the Yankees return. They really weren’t kidding when they said they were ready for the season to start.

I tried to fix my jones by watching WBC games and Grapefruit League games – it’s just not the same, people. WBC was an interesting diversion, but I found myself really missing regular season play. Many people said that the WBC was more for other countries besides the U.S., which would make sense, but didn’t change my “who are these people?” disorientation. Then I started to listen to Grapefruit League games, but there would be so many player changes that I would have a hard time figuring out what was going on. I know that the whole point of Spring Training is to work out the kinks and give absolutely everybody you might even consider for the starting squad a chance to play, but damn, when I’m watching a Yankees/Phillies game and I don’t recognize anyone, it gets a little confusing. (The ball went where? Who caught it? Wait, who’s at bat? And who’s running for him? What’s on third, that much I do know.)

And I know it’s only the first game of the season, and I know that injury hangs over this team like a very localized thunderstorm, and I didn’t miss the fact that the run Randy Johnson gave up was a home run, and that Damon apparently didn’t attend Kevin Millar’s Boys and Girls Club lesson on hitting the cut-off man ( a little early for Jeter to be talking to his glove and sporting that “will be talking to you about that later” look, eh?) .........BUT!!!! Oh the hits! And the drawn walks, and Hideki with the three-run homer, and ARod with the Opening Day grand slam --- oooo, yeah, that was good, that was especially good. I had forgotten how much fun it could be watching that line-up scare pitchers like Barry Zito (Barry Zito!!) off the mound. Woo hoo!

One question? Who plonks Posada? I don’t mean that as any kind of slam to his hitting. Posada is a guy who never does anything to anybody, and that poor man has taken more knocks over the past couple of weeks than a football player. I’m hoping he makes it all the way through April, never mind the rest of the season.

It sucked that the game was on so late. I kept telling myself “Ok, ten more minutes, then you have to turn it off.” And the Yankees score ANOTHER run! “Ok. Ten more minutes.” I am so wiped out today, so I am on strict orders – directly to bed, do not even THINK about turning the TV on to see how things start.

But already I’m thinking....How’s Mussina going to pitch? Will they have the big hits tonight? Hmmmm.....Nothing like waking up in the middle of the night and deciding that it’s worth it to pay extra on the phone bill to check the score on my cell phone browser. Yeeeeehp. Totally hooked.

Baseball’s back!