Saturday, August 06, 2005

Play Ball!

I never do things when I'm supposed to do them. I've never started a journal on January 1st. "Spring cleaning" usually happens sometime in September. I'm pretty sure that I would celebrate Christmas in February if it were left to me. In my world, it makes perfect sense to start a baseball blog about the Yankees in August. I'm actually a little surprised that I didn't start it in December.

Gary Sheffield made the news yesterday for an interview he did for The NewYorker. (Sheff is saying that he is being taken out of context, and the reporter is saying he's got tape. You decide.) He supposedly says, according to the story in the NY Daily News "I know who the leader is on the team. I ain't going to say who it is, but I know who it is. I know who the team feeds off. I know who the opposing team comes in knowing they have to defend to stop the Yankees".

For one whole minute of blissful naivete, I thought he was talking about Matsui.

He then goes on to say, "I am the straw that stirs the drink - Jeter thinks he can be the straw that stirs the drink, but he can only stir it bad." Oh, no hold on. Wrong era. Bring on the Bronx Zoo.

"Why shouldn't I tell the truth? I ain't trying to get no Pepsi commercial." He points out that the media is making a big deal out of Jeter and ARod, and "everyone else is garbage". Er...really? Sheff seems to get some attention, even when he's not pitching a tantrum. And wasn't ARod like Sheffield's little brother three weeks ago? Wasn't there a big love fest going on? "You the man." "No you the man" "Oh no you the man." Repeat.

Both Jeter and ARod say that they believe Sheffield. ARod emphasized that they are very good friends, and Jeter said "My name didn't come out of his mouth. He's sitting right over there, why don't you ask him?"

This is better than any television drama. I think I have the next reality show..."So you want to be a New York Yankee"

The game last night wasn't as much of a medical emergency as most of their games over the past week. (Shortness of breath, shooting chest pains, dizziness -- the Yankees are playing!) They started with and kept the lead, which always helps my breathing. Jeter let everyone know he was still the captain by getting a triple at his first at-bat, and Sheffield brought him home with a home run. I think someone from the Yankees organization should be assigned to piss Sheffield off every two to three weeks or so. "Hey, Gar, you'll never guess, now there's a steroid rumor." "WHAT???!!!" "Hey, man, aren't you up?" "GIMME MY BAT!"

I didn't notice that Jeter was banging on Sheffield's helmet any harder than usual when he was congratulating him either. "GOOD!" *BANG* "FOR!" *BANG* "YOU!" *BANG*

And to sweeten the whole thing? The Red Sox lost to the Twins. I mean they really really lost to the Twins. That's always like extra whipped cream on a Yankees win.

Sheffield has decided that he's nevernevernever speaking to the media evereverever again. Good plan. Group hug.